April 6, 2011 / Linda Hartong

HUGH COMSTOCK’S FAIRYTALE COTTAGES BY THE SEA

Carmel -by-the Sea has enchanting architecture. But the most enchanting to me are the fairytale cottages built by Hugh Comstock.  Hugh’s wife, Mayotta, made and sold rag dolls that she named “Otsy -Totsys”.  When her dolls outgrew their home , she asked Hugh to build her a Doll House to use for her sales and as a showroom. And so he built

HANSEL

In 1925, Hugh and Mayotta decided to build a second house on their parcel of land and named it

GRETEL

For more about Hansel click on the following links:

HANSEL AND GRETEL- HUGH COMSTOCK’S FIRST FAIRY TALE COTTAGES IN CARMEL « Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea

THE FLOORPLAN FOR HANSEL- HUGH COMSTOCK’S FIRST ‘FAIRY HOUSE IN THE WOODS’ « Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea

And in that same year, they built still another home of adobe and Carmel stone. I love the hand carved trim on

OBERS

For more about Obers, also known as The Comstock House click on the following links

HUGH COMSTOCK’S-OBERS « Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea

I AM INVITED TO TOUR HUGH COMSTOCK’S COTTAGE « Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea

I recently located SNOW WHITE’S SUMMER PLACE. It has been for sale and was looking a little neglected.

The Tuck Box was built in 1927. Because of its unusual location it was built on skids in case the owner wanted to move it.  It was first used as a restaurant in the early 1930’s and was named “Sally’s”. The building just to the rear was also built by Comstock in 1929 and was used as a garden shop, and much later as The Tuck Box Gift Shop. The kiosk next to the patio gate was added in 1931.

The Tuck Box and The Garden Shop

For more about the Tuck Box click on this link

HUGH COMSTOCK’S THE TUCK BOX « Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea

Hugh was beginning to need a studio from which to work.  Later it became the residence of Mayotta Comstock.

THE STUDIO

For more about the Studio click on

HUGH COMSTOCK- FLOOR PLAN FOR THE STUDIO « Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea

In the next year, Hugh really outdid himself. Demand for his cottages was strong and he built.

OUR HOUSE

THE BIRTHDAY HOUSE

HUGH COMSTOCK- FLOOR PLAN FOR THE BIRTHDAY HOUSE « Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea

THE DOLLS HOUSE

HUGH COMSTOCK’S THE DOLL’S HOUSE « Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea

HONEYMOON

Hugh Comstock’s Honeymoon Cottage « Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea

FABLES

Hugh Comstock- Floorplan for Fables Cottage « Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea

and

MARCHEN HAUS

HUGH COMSTOCK’S MARCHEN HAUS- A FAIRYTALE COTTAGE « Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea

In 1929, just before the stock market crashed, he built

SUNWISETURN

SUNWISE TURN – A HUGH COMSTOCK FAIRYTALE COTTAGE IN CARMEL-BY-THE SEA « Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea

And Curtain Call

HUGH COMSTOCK’S “CURTAIN CALL” « Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea

There are still more Comstock cottages in Carmel, but I have not located and photographed them yet. But I will…..

If you too want to find them all ,The CALIFORNIA VISITORS CENTER on San Carlos between 5th & 6th will give you a list  with their locations.

HAPPY HUNTING.

Unless otherwise stated, all photographs are copyright (c) Linda Hartong. All rights reserved.

You may not use any image on this site without my written consent. If you are interested in using a photo from my website for any purpose, please send me a quick message and let me know which photo(s) you are interested in.

1. jeanette sclar / Apr 6 2011 6:26 pm

If Snow White’s Summer place is looking neglected, I only wish my place had that look! Serious gardening stock-taking this year!

2. Paige Odelle / May 30 2011 1:14 am

I don’t know who you are, or how I stumbled upon your site but you made my whole day. I have such a yearning for one of these cottages by the sea……currently living exactly opposite from Carmel (at the furthest point, Outer Banks, NC). Photos such as yours are few and far between and i so want to thank you!
    all best, paige

3. Barry Kibler / Oct 24 2011 2:35 pm

I would like to use two of your photos the front views of Hansel & Snow white in a book ,when I was a small child living in Carmel during ww2 I and other small children would walk with Mrs. Smith through the forest of Carmel and at each of these cottages she would tell us kids the story of snow white or Hansel and Gretel telling ust that this is the home of snow white and the seven duarf’s and then commence with the fairytell. We were young enough and still beleived in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny so we really beleived these tales and watched closely hoping to get a glimps of snow white or a Dwarf. We lived near sixth and Santa Fe. I am a decendent of the Castro family who once owned the Old Castro Adobe and most all of Santa Cruz county. Please e-mail permission
    Barry Kibler /Castro

4. custom homes Austin / Nov 15 2011 6:03 am

A dream house, a wish, our hearts make… these are truly wonderful cozy homes that can be considered priceless… The homes that Comstock made are magical. Storybook concepts brought to life in a very artistic and skilled manner. Thank you for sharing the photos, they’re fantastic!

5. Cindy Adkins / Feb 20 2012 5:24 am

I found your blog through someone’s account on Pinterest (who had pinned several of your photos.) I am in Heaven!! I used to live in Sacramento and would visit Carmel-by-the-Sea several times per year. I moved to the midwest ten years ago and miss the California coast, and especially the Carmel/Big Sur area so much. Your blog is outstanding!! I’m so happy I found it. Now I can look and dream and remember…thank you so much.
    Cindy

6. Diana Fendley / Apr 3 2012 9:39 pm

I found your blog through Pinterest. OMG, you made my day, I think my heart smiled out loud. These are the cutest things I have ever seen. I’ve always wanted to visit Carmel by the Sea, but had no idea there were these incredible cottages there. Thanks for the great photography and history on each. What a great blog.

Blessings,

Diana

7. Net / Apr 12 2012 8:08 pm

I came across these gorgeous homes through Pinterest. I have always loved these style homes and am thankful for the opportunity to daydream about them!

8. Keiren / Apr 27 2012 5:51 pm

Hi Linda, I was putting a page on about Rackham when I found your photos on Comstock and would love to include some on my blog. Your images are fabulous. Have also just pinned a few on Pinterest from your blog, hope that’s okay. Here is url: http://inspirationgreen.com/arthur-rackham-and-hugh-comstock.html please let me know if you approve. Thank you. Best, Keiren

9. Marcia McCoy / Sep 5 2012 2:46 am

Hello Linda! These cottages are so precious.I have known about them for a long time as I lived in San Diego in the late 50’s It is uplifting just to look at them. I don’t have a business or blog, but would just like to save some of them in my pictures folder enjoy them again&again. If this is not ok,please let me know. Also, are you going to publish a coffee table style book for folks like me that probably will never get to Carmel to be able to see these enchanting, lovely homes when ever we have time to sit down with a cup of tea and enjoy it? Thank You for all smiles please continue.Kind Regards,Marcia

10. Alex Rendall / Dec 14 2012 8:31 pm

Hi there, I am fascinated by these fairytale cottages of Hugh Comstock and have chosen them as the main focus areas for my architecture dissertation topic. I am talking about the meaning of fairytale architecture, picking out the key points and finding the reasoning behind why they are not used in everyday construction to enhance peoples lives. I was wondering if it would be possible to use any of the photos, as I am unsure on who to contact in regards to copyright law. Also I have decided to focus my attention on four houses, Hansel, Gretel, The Tuck Box and ideally Fables, but I am struggling to find any reputable sources from which I can quote information on fables. I would very much like to use it in my project as I personally hold it as one of my favourites. Any help at all is much appreciated. Kind Regards Alex Rendall

• Roger and Kathy Sanger / Mar 25 2013 4:04 pm

Alex, We are the recent owners of Fables and have just finished a complete restoration of it. Any help we can offer we would be delighted to do so. I just posted a comment on the “Fables ” section here.

11. Deanna Joy Stephens / Jan 7 2013 4:42 am

One Day~ a Shall Wright My Story~ One Of Awe & Wonder~~~ Which Began with an Image of a Rooftop & Chimney ~ D’JOY

12. Cameron Taylor Dill / May 31 2013 2:33 am

Wow. I thought this was only in fairy tales. I have always dreamed of owning a garden tutor cottage.

13. Meredith MacCormack / Jul 2 2013 3:32 pm

I stumbled upon your site while looking up images for a wattled fence. I’m currently reading Childhood by Tolstoy and he mentions that type of fence and I wanted to put an image to the word and Thank God I did!!! What amazing houses, they are truly dream houses for me! Thank you for the story and the beautiful photographs!
    Meredith
    San Antonio, TX

14. Sweet.Love.Bites / Dec 20 2013 2:40 am

Reblogged this on Sweet.Love.Bites and commented:
    Here’s a little more depth about Hugh Comstock’s Fairytale Cottages, that was wonderfully documented by this blogger :) THANKS FOR STOPPING BY.

15. Corky / Jan 13 2014 5:23 pm

Visited Carmel two years ago and loved the place. Would love to see the inside of Hugh’s homes some day

16. sethsownstar / Feb 24 2014 7:25 am

Reblogged this on Rainbow's Anthem and commented:
    I’m packing as we speak! lol

17. Reblogged this on La Fée Blanche.

18. Lillian adams / Oct 1 2014 12:34 am

We’ve were fortunate to have purchased one of Hugh Comstocks final designs from 1950 not in Carmel but inWhittier CA. It’s for sale now and we only hope and pray the new owners will preserve it in the manner which it deserves. You can check it out online – simply amazing.

Trackbacks

1. Lilacs & Laughter: A Cottage For Sale in Carmel-by-the-Sea
  2. Fairytale Abodes: 15 Tiny Storybook Cottages | WebEcoist
  3. Fairytale Abodes: 15 Tiny Storybook Cottages | Eco Green Living 24/7
  4. Dream House: Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA |
  5. Die perfekte Stadt für mich- Carmel by the Sea, USA « Lesetraum
  6. Fantasy Fridays — HANSEL « From Julie Smith
  7. Carmel-by-the-Sea, California - Curmudgeon In Transit
  8. on an adventure, part II | Sleep a Little Longer
  9. This Californian Town Is Famous For Its Adorable Storybook Cottages | Only-Love.us
  10. Downtown Carmel, CA | Pinks and Creams