The Tuck Box was constructed by Hugh Comstock in 1927, either as his office or as a home. It was first used as a restaurant in the early 1930′s and was named “Sally’s”.
The building in the rear was also built by Comstock in 1929 and was used as a garden shop, and much later as The Tuck Box Gift Shop. The kiosk next to the patio gate was added in 1931.
For the last 70+ years, the Tuck Box has existed as a restaurant in the middle of Carmel-by-the-Sea on Dolores between Ocean and 7th. (Address is as close as you can get in street number resistant Carmel.) It has not always been devoted to British food as it is today, but since the 1940′s when two sisters from England opened the tea room which they named “The Tuck Box” after the small wooden lockers English school boys took to boarding school with them to hold their toys, books and food (tuck). The “tuck box” has always had a warm and special place in British student hearts since the food served in their dining rooms was so execrable that the candy and cakes hoarded in their boxes were the only things to satisfy.
After operating the restaurant for eight years, Mrs. Bumbridge and Mrs. Watson, sold to another British couple, John and Elsie Grandfield. Elsie’s delicious recipes have had the greatest and most lasting impact on The Tuck Box. Many are still in use today.
A note on their Scottish Scones. These are not the small scones one may be used to. These are large, about the size of a salad plate. The Tuck Box recipe is from northern Scotland and is lighter in texture than the scones found in England.
For afficiadoes, who cannot get to Carmel very often, the Tuck Box sells their preserves including their famous Olallieberry version
their scone mix that dates back to 1949,
their whole grain cereal (oats, wheat, barley & rye)
and their Ceylon Pekoe Black Tea.
Just log onto their web site.
In addition they sell a wonderful little book called “The FairyTale Houses of Carmel”.