December 7, 2015 / Linda Hartong

THE REGINALD MARKHAM HOUSE- ON CARMEL’S HISTORIC REGISTER

IMG_9255 copy

This one and two-story Spanish Eclectic style home was built by English -master-craftsman Frederic Bigland. I have featured several of his houses on the blog.

Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 1.13.14 PM

The Conrad Home

And the H. Markham House

It is interesting that no relationship has been established between the two Markhams, whose homes both have a Moorish feel to them, both built by Bigland.

This stately home on two lots, turns its face in toward the courtyard.

Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 4.19.14 PM

I knock in vain at the front door

And then work my way around the house snapping shots.

Kent Seavey notes the flat roof seen over the door is associated with the Moorish influenced design of North Africa and is quite unusual in residential design.

Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 4.19.47 PM

As I walk on down the street , I can see the “paired and stepped exterior eave-all chimneys with their lancet shaped tops” that Seavey describes.

I try the lower gate which I later learn has been close off and made into a corridor with a fountain beside the guest house.

I make my way back around the east side of the house

Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 1.18.09 PM

and admire the grilled window

and succulent plantings outside the walled home.

I have noticed an arched gateway.

Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 4.21.31 PM

I tentatively knock and push the gate open.

I am now in a “hallway” leading to the courtyard.

Placed along the way is this beautiful tile

And this open-mouthed gentleman who is surprised by my presence.

Wow! What a beautiful courtyard with yet another gated court within it.

This fountain, the azaleas

And this tile

Glow against the warm stucco wall.

The garden is quiet and warm.

A guest house sits to the west of the main house, its roof covered with trumpet vine.

This fountain

And plaque add character.

Everywhere I look is beauty.

IMG_9255 copy

I am out again and on my way pleased to have seen yet another home on the Carmel Historic Inventory.

1. Susan / Dec 7 2015 9:59 pm

So nice to see your new blog! I always enjoy them.

2. Lindsay Dyson / Dec 7 2015 10:00 pm

Beautiful. Thank you for this lovely respite.

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea wrote:

> Linda Hartong posted: “This one and two-story Spanish Eclectic style home > was built by English -master-craftsman Frederic Bigland. I have featured > several of his houses on the blog. The Conrad Home > https://talesfromcarmel.com/2012/03/04/i-am-invited-t ‎ And the H. Markham > H”

3. Sheri / Dec 7 2015 10:06 pm

I’ve missed your blog. I’m so glad to have received this today. Carmel is one of my favorite places tp visit, and seeing these interesting homes is such a joy….Thank You!

4. oldthings / Dec 7 2015 10:16 pm

Welcome back !! I am glad that you are here !

5. Donna Kohler / Dec 7 2015 10:19 pm

Hi Linda. Are you back? I sure hope so, have missed your wonderful posts. Hubby and I get to Carmel several times a year from Fresno, CA and I think of you and wonder if you are okay. Blessings.
    Donna

6. Annie Westlake / Dec 7 2015 10:20 pm

Wow! My day just got 100% better. Delighted to see your beautiful post, and hope there are more to come. Happy holidays!

7. Mary Allender / Dec 7 2015 10:36 pm

What a joy to find this post in my mailbox today! Thank you, Linda.

8. Mary Allender / Dec 7 2015 10:40 pm

It was such a joy to find this posting in my mailbox today! Thank you, Linda.

9. Linda Cranford / Dec 7 2015 10:53 pm

So happy to see you again!! Absolutely delightful… visuals and commentary…hope you’re back to stay…Happy Holidays**

10. Victoria / Dec 7 2015 11:10 pm

Oh how I’ve missed you and your blog posts!
    Thank you for this gift!!

11. Carol Goldfield / Dec 7 2015 11:10 pm

What a pleasure to be seeing your photos and reading your words again. I hope we will see you in Carmel soon….. perhaps over the holidays. We’ve missed you!

12. Betty / Dec 7 2015 11:39 pm

Thank you for this lovely post! I love the warmth and relaxed atmosphere of this beautiful home It’s so good to see you back here.
    Betty (in Australia)

13. Joyce / Dec 8 2015 1:10 am

The landscaping is lovely, and it was a great pleasure to visit Carmel. Thank you and I’ve missed you and hope all is well with you.

14. VG&KL Lee / Dec 8 2015 2:44 am

Interesting!  It’s nice to see you are back in business.VG

15. Roberta Speechley / Dec 8 2015 3:11 am

So happy to see your photos again. I just love to look and read your blog. Love the photos it makes me feel as if I’m by the sea. Thank you, Bert

16. Ruby Corman / Dec 8 2015 5:33 am

I was wondering where you had gone just the other day ! What a lovely surprise to find you in my email . Hope you are well , thank – you for your beautiful blog !

17. Ruby Corman / Dec 8 2015 5:39 am

I was wondering where you were just the other day ! I hope you are well . Thank – you for the lovely blog . I don’t know if I’ll ever get to visit here so it’s wonderful to get a close up view of this gorgeous place .

18. Roberta / Dec 8 2015 7:16 am

Thank you for this wonderful tour, Linda, I was transported inside by your wonderful photos and commentary! Hope you’re well, Roberta

19. beverley Conrad / Dec 8 2015 2:58 pm

Oh Linda, I have also missed your blog! I love this house! I would kill to see the inside. Can’t they put it on the house tour? Love your photos! Bev Conrad

20. Von Lau / Dec 9 2015 3:02 am

Hi Linda!! So happy to see this post today. Your photos are beautiful as always. Hope all is well with you and your husband. Thanks for another exceptional peek in a Carmel home. I felt my heart beating when you pushing open that final gate!! 😉

21. Lisa / Dec 15 2015 2:23 am

Yay!!!!! You’re back!!!!!!!

22. Diane Schrader / Dec 29 2015 7:44 pm

Are You Back…..I Am SOOOOO HAPPY to see your post……MissedYou

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea wrote: