April 23, 2017 / Linda Hartong

Quirks of Carmel

Carmel’s first residents were artists who fled the San Francisco earthquake and fire in 1906.

The first homes were very simple and often self-built. There was a strong sense of community.

The residents often met at the post office in the morning to gather their mail and chat.

fullsizeoutput_169

So when the Post Office offered to deliver mail to homes with street numbers, the residents decided to decline.

Homes were given names and later geographical addresses to identify them. Thus our address is SW corner of 8th and Lincoln St. Trying to decipher this system is tricky.

fullsizeoutput_230
The format used for geographical addressing lists the street, cross street, and the number of houses from the intersection.Some enterprising soul has now developed an interactive map of named Carmel Homes. Here is the link.  google.com/maps/d/viewer

As one can see there is no ownership of a name so there may be several Acorn Cottages, Aloha, Hideaway, Lanikai, Rose Cottage

4904957414_e2d69dd6e1_o

and 4 Sans Souci

Certain words pop up frequently such as “Beach”,

Beach Cottage

”Ocean”,

fullsizeoutput_16e9

”Cypress”,

cypress

“Sea”,

fullsizeoutput_1f39

Sea Castle

There are a multitude of “Casa”

Casa Bonita with Butterfly

Chez

Chez Lo

Cottage

fullsizeoutput_1cc6

House

The Little Wooden House

Maison

Maison Rustique

and Villa

Other rely on creativity and imagination

fullsizeoutput_204b

Tinker Bell

fullsizeoutput_2960

Sleepy hollow

7th Heaven

Despite all this, UPS and Fed Ex and still find us. Amazing

1. Ana Maria / Apr 23 2017 7:48 pm

Lovely! Dreamy! Fabulous!

2. Teri Winton / Apr 23 2017 8:59 pm

What a charming piece. Thank you.
    Years ago, you featured our garden. Any chance of seeing it now?

• Linda Hartong / Apr 23 2017 11:12 pm

I would love to see your garden again. I think I remember that you shared it with the Carmel Garden Tour. When we are in Carmel next I will try to contact you. Truly yours is one of the most beautiful gardens I have seen.

• Teri Winton / Apr 24 2017 3:02 pm

Would love to see you! Actually I meant seeing your original post. Things change so much over the years in any garden.

• Linda Hartong / Apr 27 2017 3:38 pm

Terri , is it possible I posted your name as Terri Morrel. Is your garden the one in the “banana belt”

• Linda Hartong / Apr 27 2017 3:50 pm

On the right side of the screen there is a place to search posts by month. Your garden was posted September 2013.

3. Peggy / Apr 23 2017 9:27 pm

Love the little historical tid bits you provide on the charming community of Carmel.

4. Winona Stewart / Apr 23 2017 9:51 pm

Thank you Linda. I didn’t know the story behind why we don’t get our mail delivered. Also, fun to find our house on the list! Winona Stewart

5. laloofahLaloofah / Apr 24 2017 12:04 am

I was beguiled, charmed, & enchanted by Carmel-By-The-Sea on my lone visit there in 2000, and your delightful photos & interesting posts have much the same effect. (I had to read this one aloud to my husband, a retired UPS man).😊

6. laloofah / Apr 24 2017 12:05 am

7. downraspberrylane / Apr 24 2017 12:37 am

I’m so glad you are blogging again! Do new residents usually change the name of their house when they move in?

• Linda Hartong / Apr 24 2017 12:48 am

It is considered bad luck to change the name–but yes they do

8. Barbara Livingston / Apr 24 2017 12:46 am

Hi Linda,

Do I have your permission to post your latest email on house names on our CRA Facebook and website? Thanks, Barbara

9. Trish Curlee / Apr 24 2017 3:17 am

Thank you for your blog.

10. PATRICIA TETZLAFF / Apr 24 2017 5:35 am

WE SHOULD VISIT CARMEL AND SEE THESE HOUSES…I LOVE ALL THESE QUAINT SCENES…PT

11. Karen Landwehr / Apr 24 2017 6:36 pm

This is where I need to be forever. HOw beautiful. Keep sending these hopeful dreamers because they bring me smiles. Thanks, Karen Elizabeth Endsley Landwehr

12. Jacalyn / Apr 24 2017 11:54 pm

Thank you for sharing your insights about Carmel. Five years ago we visited and now each year return- in the Spring to see the beautiful flowers and breathe the fresh Pacific air. ..and paint, of course. Thanks again,
    Jacalyn Beam

13. carmelcottage / Apr 27 2017 6:34 am

One of my favourite gardens or addresses has to be 0 Carmelo 2 NE of 8th St. We tried to find this garden on our last trip, but this address/location had us beat. GPS was no help either! We must have been right there, but did not see it and gave up annoying the residents by driving up and down for half an hour. I think I did hear the landscaping had changed. The garden I refer to is in one of your blogs “Promises Kept”. I refer back to that photo time and time again for gardening inspiration. I continue to model my garden (ahem) from it.

• Gretta Faun / May 10 2017 10:13 pm

The cottage has a different name now. It is called Lavanda, if I remember correctly.The landscaping did change too. I only recognized the cottage because of the same beautiful painting on its side.

• carmelcottage / Jun 26 2017 10:16 pm

Thank you so much Gretta. I will have a look for it next time I’m there.