August 31, 2013 / Linda Hartong

THE ANNUAL CARMEL WIENER ROAST- AN EVENT FOR DISCRIMINATING DACHSHUNDS

Nine years ago, Jean Hontalas and Kim Edmundson put a little ad in the Pine Cone for the first meeting of the Dachshund Club and 30 dachshunds show up with their owners. They meet on the beach the first and third Sundays of the month.

About three years ago, I am strolling along the beach path and encounter them.

dachshund club

How cute.

This year I read that the annual Carmel Wiener Roast will be held when I am in Carmel. I put it on my calendar and “save the date”.

I start down to the beach at the appointed time. I see dachshunds all over town. But the beach looks deserted.

Image 20

I am starting to get worried when I spot my first doxies- a short-haired and a long-haired. They will not give me the time of day. They have places to go and buddies to meet.

photo

Next a red long-haired dachshund comes sniffing down the path

photo (1)

Followed by a black and tan long hair.

Image 19

At the top of the stairs leading down to the party I meet this lovely lady.

photo

Note her toenails painted the same color as her owner’s. “sehr niedlich”.

Black and tan Dauschaumd

Wow look at this crew. I later read that over 100 dogs attend the beach party and the party animals are having a blast.

Image 18

There is catch

Image 2

Chase

Image 10

And digging ( a dachshund favorite).

Image 12

I see a handsome brindle

Wirehaired

A long hair blond introduces herself to a piebald.

Longhaired and Piebald

I am keeping an eye on the digger in the pink puppia. I know dachshunds are bred to dig for badgers, but this little girl is wearing herself out. Kind passersby throw her tennis balls thinking that is what she is digging for. But I think she is headed for China.

photo (1)

Meanwhile, I see dachshunds in pink- I am not sure she likes her hat.

Image 6

Dachshunds getting ready to surf

Image 11

Dachshunds with water dishes that match their outfits

Image 13

And even a poor guy wearing a muzzle. Note the skull and crossbones motif on his scarf.

Image 4

These two are content to stay with the baby who is reading about – let me zoom in- baby wipes! That was a surprise.

Image 3

These two check out the crowd

photo (2)

While this one walks her little girl.

Image 16

Oh, oh! The digger is still at it.

Image 24

These cuties have come down the coast for the event.

Image 26

Oh my. She has to be so tired. I have been here an hour already.

Image 25

Of course the best part is the picnic

Image 17

Don’t you just hate it when humans don’t share?

photo (2)

Two dog rescue groups are here. This is Foxy Doxy Rescue. They brought dachshunds for adoption.

Image 8

These are five litter mates.

Image 7

And although this one looks pretty sad, he is, in reality ,spoiled rotten. He belongs to the rescue couple. Check out that “bling”.

Image 22

The dogs are held and cuddled. I hope some are adopted. My husband has no idea how close he comes to owning one.

Image 15

Image 5

This is Piggles who works security for the booth.

photo (3)

AFRP is also present.

Image 23

Ok. It is time for me to head home. One last check on the digger.

photo (3)

Still at it!

1. maudcarol@aol.com / Aug 31 2013 8:20 pm

Love these photos! Have to share this with my dachshund loving friend!

Carol

Sent from my iPad

2. fourdoxn@aol.com / Aug 31 2013 8:22 pm

Just love it!! I would be there with my four, if I lived closer!

3. Nita@ModVintageLife / Sep 1 2013 4:37 am

Oh…you know I loved this! I wish I lived there and could take my four. You should have taken one of the available ones! Just love seeing all these wiener dogs at the beach. I had a dachshund who lived to be 17 and at age 15 she saw the beach for the first time and she LOVED it! I’d take her to walk by the ocean. I think she loved all the different smells. None of the ones I have now have been to the sea. I so wish I could take them. Thanks for taking photos of this event.

4. Gretta Faun / Sep 3 2013 1:25 am

Adorable:0)

5. Lori / Jun 25 2014 4:18 pm

When is the next event? Thank you! I will be there with my 11lb doxi

• Linda Hartong / Jun 27 2014 10:14 pm

I think it is August every year. Hope you get a chance to come. It was so fun.

• carmeldachshundclub / Apr 18 2015 2:57 am

Hi Linda! The 2015 Carmel Wiener Roast will be held on July 19th. Hope to see you there. Please visit us at the Carmel Dachshund Club web site!

6. carmeldachshundclub / Apr 18 2015 2:59 am

Wonderful article. How could I have missed this! Pictures of friends and two of my dachshunds! Please join us on July 19th, 2015, for the annual Wiener Roast on Carmel Beach. For details, visit the Carmel Dachshund Club web site. Carmel Dachshund Club dot com.