July 12, 2013 / Linda Hartong

LETS TOUR LAS ABUELAS (THE GRANDFATHER)- ON CARMEL’S HISTORIC REGISTER

The Henry Meade Williams Local History Room is the archive for the City of Carmel and is devoted to acquiring, preserving, and making available historically significant items about the history of Carmel. These collections include: photographs, books, letters, diaries, programs, manuscripts, maps, scrapbooks, and works of art.

LH Room web

I love this room. Not only does it contain all historian Kent Seavey’s reports on Carmel’s Historic Structures but it has big, wooden tables, a card catalogue!, books within locked cabinets and a wonderfully helpful local history librarian, Ashlee Wright.

There are always people with cameras, magnifying glasses and notebooks researching something or someone. It is the kind of room where you expect everyone to say “ Shh”… my cell phone rings and I am mortified. But I digress.

So….I decide to find most of the houses on the register and if possible share some of them with you.

I set off to find Las Abuelas ( the grandparents). It is a sunny day and I find it quickly. But no matter where I point my camera, all I can see is the roofline.

I point my zoom through the gate. Oh wow. I want to see more.

Just as I give up. I stumble upon the “for sale” sign and go to the Coldwell Banker website to find photos.

This home is significant as one of the most interesting example s of the Spanish Eclectic style in Carmel. This truly eclectic style evokes the feeling of Spain, but with strong influences from other areas of the Mediterranean.

It is built 1928 by M.J. Murphy. Charles and Gertrude Ellis buy the land from Professor George Boke, Dean of the Law School at U.C. Berkeley.

The south-facing side has the characteristics of a flat-roofed Mediterranean Villa. You can see the asymmetrical facade, stucco walls, and cantilevered balcony.

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.10.52 PM

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.12.04 PM

At the S.E. Corner is a porte cochere with massive Carmel stone piers

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.11.55 PM

That leads to the courtyard.

Mr. Seavey explains that this side is more of a Monterey colonial style with the low-pitched roof covered with red roof tiles. Note the open outside staircase.

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.12.14 PM

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.12.09 PM

The formal living room has a fireplace and French doors. Light pours in from 3 sides through those lovely arched windows.

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.10.55 PM

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.10.59 PM

The formal dining room has a bay window and fireplace.

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.11.18 PM

The kitchen has the tile floors and backsplash that one might expect. It also has marble and teak counters and breakfast bar.

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.11.09 PM

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.11.04 PM

The master bedroom has ocean views and a private study with fireplaces.

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.11.23 PM

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.11.27 PM

The staircase has elaborate ironwork.

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.11.36 PM

It appears to have 4 more bedrooms.

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.11.13 PM

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.11.31 PM

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.11.41 PM

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.11.46 PM

On its south side is a two hundred year old Wolf Pine that has been recorded as the oldest living example of its type in the US.

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.12.18 PM

Casa De Los Abuelos listing agent William Wilson

MLS ID: 81306353

List price:  $3,950,000

1. House Crazy Sarah / Jul 12 2013 4:46 pm

I think my heart just stopped when I saw this house. It is amazingly beautiful! The grounds, courtyards, arches, kitchen, wrought iron – just breathtaking. And that old tree. Stunning!

2. Carolyn / Jul 12 2013 5:36 pm

Wow, what a fabulous house! I couldn’t find a reference to the square footage, but it looks a lot more spacious than many of the Carmel cottages. I love how the arched French doors in the living room frame the view of the tree.

3. Sheri Rocha / Jul 12 2013 5:51 pm

Thank you for sharing, would love to go out and photograph with you, I LOVE Carmel for these reasons, History and the wonderful homes…

4. benheinrich1 / Jul 12 2013 10:16 pm

Wonderful presentation:)

Warm Regards,

Ben J. Heinrich Top 1% Coldwell Banker Previews Specialist

[The-Heinrich-Team-Logo—3.]

http://www.TheHeinrichTeam.com 831.626.2434 Direct | 831.626.2435 Fax [cid:BCBADEFE-CE3E-4A49-A626-BD867E6FFF77]

From: “Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea” <comment-reply@wordpress.com> Reply-To: “Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by the Sea” <comment+egtinsq18y4ktxksdpu2h9b@comment.wordpress.com> Date: Friday, July 12, 2013 9:19 AM To: Ben Heinrich <ben@theheinrichteam.com> Subject: [New post] LETS TOUR LAS ABUELAS (THE GRANDFATHER)- ON CARMELS HISTORIC REGISTER

Linda Hartong posted: “The Henry Meade Williams Local History Room is the archive for the City of Carmel and is devoted to acquiring, preserving, and making available historically significant items about the history of Carmel. These collections include: photographs, books, lett”

5. Beverley Conrad / Jul 13 2013 3:53 pm

Hi Linda go to:  http://www.fridayrealty.com/21-BORONDA-RD-Carmel-Valley-CA~i19$1123698$RES.  This place looks fantastic!  Call me when you can get together, Bev

________________________________

Beverley B. Conrad, PhD Licensed Psychologist PSY 16896 1131 Howard Ave. Burlingame, CA 94010 650 343-8792

________________________________

6. Sue / Jul 16 2013 6:56 pm

I had to look up cantilevered to see what it meant because I need to know. It’s great to see where you look up all your precious history of Carmel and its homes. This is a wonderful home. Love the master bedroom and interesting outside staircase. I could go on and on.