May 3, 2013 / Linda Hartong

Cannery Row Antique Mall

I rarely write about shops not in Carmel but I have to share the Cannery Row Antique Mall with you.

Bill and I discover it while driving around Cannery Row in Monterey. We now make it a regular stop when we are in Carmel.

It is 21,000 sq. ft., has two floors and over 150 dealers who are ready to sell and bargain.

We find a drop leaf table and a book shelf  for very reasonable prices. The sales staff makes sure the deal works. They load and they even deliver.

Come shopping with me. I bet you will see something you love.

First make sure you have quarters to feed the meters. We got a ticket while buying our table.

You can see from the exterior that this mall was once The Carmel Canning Company warehouse #2 and is one of the few remaining authentic and unchanged Cannery Row structures from the Steinbeck era. From 1927 until the end of the sardine fishing era, it served to house canning supplies and the finished products on 2 floors.

As you walk in the door

Screen Shot 2013-04-26 at 3.50.56 PM

Look to your left and you can still see remnants of the great old conveyer belt that was used for moving crates from one floor to another. The original integrity of the structure is visible with its exposed posts, beams and trusses.“Historic Structure” status was granted in 1994.

Screen Shot 2013-04-26 at 3.55.32 PM

It is hard to know where to begin browsing.

To the left

Screen Shot 2013-04-27 at 11.40.51 AM

To the right

Screen Shot 2013-04-27 at 11.43.17 AM

On the second floor

Or down the middle aisle.

Screen Shot 2013-04-26 at 3.51.38 PM

Bill and I separate.

He heads for this woodworking booth

Screen Shot 2013-04-26 at 3.58.08 PM

And this booth of nautical items.

I head out for furniture

Screen Shot 2013-04-26 at 4.01.43 PM

Such as the blue hutch.

And this one with

Screen Shot 2013-04-26 at 3.57.13 PM

With a case of Toby Mugs.

I am drawn to displays of pottery ( my mother-in-law once owned this Franciscan apple pattern).

Screen Shot 2013-04-27 at 11.39.22 AM

And cookware.

As I try to decide whether to buy this ceramic covered apple pie saver for $19.00

I am reassured by this sign.

Snoopy phone,

Antique lights

Screen Shot 2013-04-26 at 3.59.51 PM

And furniture

Screen Shot 2013-04-26 at 3.52.30 PM

All appeal.

As does this vintage Atlas sewing machine in pink circa 1950’s.

Too bad our grandsons are too old for these toys.

Bill and I arrive at the back of the store at the same time ( a miracle). Carry a cell-phone here, lest you lose you spouse.

Screen Shot 2013-04-26 at 3.54.22 PM

We are wowed by this Honduran Mahogany file cabinet built around 1900.

It was owned by Alexander Anderson Jr. who created the cartoon characters of Bullwinkle, Dudley-Do- Wright, Rocky the Flying Squirrel and Crusader Rabbit. What a blast from our past.

But we do not have $7,000.00 or room for this in our tiny bungalow so we are saved from ourselves.

You can be sure we will visit again.

Cannery Row Antique Mall

Click here to take your own tour.

See inside

1. Annie Westlake / May 3 2013 1:26 am

Oh, my favorite destination when in the area. I’ve never left empty-handed. Glad you found something for your sweet cottage.

2. Marjorie Wallace / May 3 2013 2:16 am

I discovered Cannery Row last time I was down Carmel way, but did not have enough time to visit the antique mall. I surely will go next time. Thank you so much for the guided tour.

3. Cyndia / May 3 2013 2:31 am

That is one of my favorite antique shops! I love visiting every time I visit Monterey. I’ll be there again late this summer; no telling what I’ll find!

4. Lexie / May 3 2013 7:18 am

One of our favorite places. I have loved buying vintage linens here and vintage Pyrex. Last week for 5.00 I got the most incredibly beautifully hand made dollies and lace pieces. The kitchen area is my all time favorite part of this fun store.

5. Kristin Ketilsdottir / May 3 2013 9:03 am

Wow, this is fun it’s like I´m already there . Maybe I make my way to Carmel next time I take a vacation? Fantastic place!

6. Sue / May 10 2013 7:22 pm

I have the Mickey Mouse phone that is in never used condtion…how much was the Snoopy? Loved the blue hutch.

• Linda Hartong / May 10 2013 8:11 pm

Snoopy was about 100.00 I though he would be more. I have the Snoopy phone here in kc

7. Jane Flury / May 20 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks for the fantastic article about the mall! I’m a dealer there and found it by accident. It’s just as much fun to be a dealer here as it is to shop.

• Linda Hartong / May 21 2013 1:58 pm

I befit is fun. I was impressed by how the dealers worked to help each other. Kind of like a big family. The whole mall has a positive feel. Fled you found the article and like it. I will look for your the next time we are in