Advertisements
April 6, 2013 / Linda Hartong

KINGSCOTE – A Carmel English Cottage

I make it a point to walk by KINGSCOTE and admire the cottage and garden.

Kings Cote

The mistress of the house is almost always hard at work in the garden. She waves hello or we chat about some change she is making to the plantings or structure.

Today I decide to ring the bell and ask if I may take some photos. An ivy covered planter contains a “Bloom” stake and knowing just a little about her, I know this is not a request but a command to the plants.

She answers the door in her apron, beautiful white hair piled on top of her head,  busy cleaning house in preparation for company.

Graciously she steps outside and answers questions in her “English?” accent. She does not “do the internet” and does not feel her garden is at its best, but allows some photos.  I must wait until she brings out a cushion or two for the chairs.

Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 1.58.46 PM

While I wait, I snap some shots of the seating area she has created at her front door. It filters the view of the house from the street and must offer a pretty sight from inside the living room.

She has cleverly created an island bed in  the center of the yard and so can offer four distinct vignettes. I know from my walks that her garden ornaments move around the garden as if they had legs of their own.

At the heart of the island is a vine-covered trellis sheltering a bench.

Kings Cote

Evidence of her work is everywhere. An hibiscus waiting to be planted.

A watering can waits on the path.

She reappears and plops a dragonfly pillow into a chair.

As we chat , I get tentative approval to come back in the spring when her roses are in bloom.

I am snapping away as I leave. Lots of great details.

A sundial

Birdhouse

Scaveola filled planter

And hose guards.

The north side has a long covered porch.

I am planning my return trip, when I see KINGSCOTE is for sale.

Broker: Sotheby’s International Realty

Listing Agent: Kirk Probasco

Price: $2,061,400

3 Bedroom(s)

2 Bathroom(s)

The listing agent has wonderful interior shots.

This room with the window seat appears to look out on the front garden. I love the oak plank flooring downstairs,the beamed cellings and the antique and period furniture and details.

Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 1.59.03 PM

This room

Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 1.59.06 PM

leads to the back yard with its wooden deck, topiary,

Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 1.59.51 PM

And fountain. What a welcoming space.

Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 1.59.55 PM

The dining room has bay windows

Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 1.59.10 PM

And the Kitchen!!! Wow. Aga Range and Ovens, blue tiles and shining copper just steal my heart.

Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 1.59.32 PM

Dutch door, farm sink, plate rack. What impeccable taste.

Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 1.59.28 PM

There is a half bath down.

Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 1.59.48 PM

Upstairs,two bedrooms

Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 1.59.36 PM

Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 1.59.40 PM

And a bath.

Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 1.59.44 PM

Perfect order now reigns in the front garden.

Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 1.59.17 PM

The listing describes this home as an idyllic English country cottage exuding charm and character. I so agree.

Advertisements

1. Kathy / Apr 6 2013 3:20 am

I can’t even relate to a house this lovely. Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not whining. I’m very happy in my world, but this is a dream world to me. It’s very obvious this is a place that has been tended with love. The only thing I wonder about is the aga. I know they throw off a lot of constant heat, what do they do in the summer? My son in law is from the Lake District where it’s not a problem, but here in Ohio we have humid summers. I can’t imagine that heat. Anyway, the home is obviously perfect.

• Linda Hartong / Apr 6 2013 3:51 pm

one of the lovely things about Carmel is its temperate climate. Carmelites start apologizing for the terrible heat if the temperature rises above 70 degrees. We in the midwest can hardly relate with our hot, muggy summers. I would suspect that for most of the year the Aga is a cozy comfort.

2. Linda Floyd / Apr 6 2013 3:46 am

Linda…what a wonderful English Cottage…I just love it, the gardens, the interiors…perfection by someone with a love, a gentle passion for her surroundings. This is a charming post! Thank you as always,
    Linda Floyd
    Biddlestone Cottage
    Carmel-by-the-Sea

3. KT / Apr 6 2013 4:03 am

Wow! I.WOULD.NOT.CHANGE.A.THING in this cottage. Usualy I am thinking change a little here, a little there, but this home is true perfection. It has so lovingly been done over a long life of collecting and perfecting I wonder if she is sad to move?

4. House Crazy Sarah / Apr 6 2013 4:33 am

This house and its gardens takes my breath away! Thanks for knocking on that door Linda – what a gracious homeowner!

5. Nita@ModVintageLife / Apr 6 2013 4:34 am

What a pretty cottage and the garden! Oh…it’s all so inspiring…if only my little cottage had such an outdoor space. It would if I’d work on it more.

6. Annie Westlake / Apr 6 2013 5:57 am

This is my dream house.
    I’m getting out my check book right now!!!

7. Susan DeNisco / Apr 6 2013 1:01 pm

Beautiful! I always look forward to receiving your blogs in my email each week. Each one is a treasure.

8. Francie K Bennett / Apr 6 2013 2:17 pm

You do such an awesome job on your blog! I’ve looked at quiet a few and must say you make me feel like I’m there! I just adore cottages and gardens and it’s a pleasure to look at your photos! Keep up the great work! Please :O)

9. Carolyn / Apr 6 2013 2:32 pm

This is enchanting – both house and garden. It carries a real English cottage feel throughout, not like so many you see that are English on the outside and a mishmash on the inside. Love everything about it, including those wonderful antiques. I think I see the edge of a fireplace in one bedroom. The bathrooms are divine, and that kitchen! – total envy even if it is a galley. Love the faux bois chairs in the garden. The only thing I wonder is after 38 years in such a beautiful perfect place, why would you want to leave? The homeowner has such a gift for beauty, and her garden is extraordinary.

10. barbara miner / Apr 6 2013 5:57 pm

Thank you Linda! My favorite. Thank you so much for sharing.

11. Sue / Apr 6 2013 6:09 pm

Some lucky new owners are going to get a treasure of a lifetime. You have done so many wonderful cottages that one would think there are no more, but each post you do is better and better. I now want to knock on doors of enchanting homes in my home town.

12. jeanette sclar / Apr 6 2013 7:10 pm

I can’t think of a better way to spend $2 million! And I wouldn’t even require the house.

13. janet magina / Apr 6 2013 9:11 pm

I agree, totally charming and impeccable taste. Thanks Linda

14. Kitty R. Skinner / Apr 7 2013 2:26 pm

What a wonderful cottage and garden! Everything is so enchanting. I could move in tomorrow and feel right at home. I do so hope that the new owner doesn’t gut the inside and destroy the charm. Or does Carmel have ordinances preventing that?

Thanks for once again bringing peace and beauty to my day, and a dream of one day creating a space of beauty like those you share.

15. Inspired and pretty / Apr 8 2013 4:21 pm

The garden is amazing. It really is a charming and very beautiful place 🙂

16. Grace Nuth / Apr 9 2013 2:07 am

I noticed the same gorgeous bedspread on the bed in another favorite house you’ve featured in Carmel. Any chance it’s from a local vendor? Just curious (and admiring !)

(the other house):

17. Tanya / Apr 9 2013 3:59 am

I love your blog. It’s so beautiful! I lived in the Carmel area (Seaside) years ago for a short time, and would love to live there again.

Anyway, I love the gardens you have presented, esp the step by step plans. Lovely.

Please, if you can, relay to the lady who generously shared her yard with all of us our Thanks. Truly lovely.

18. Cara / Apr 12 2013 5:27 am

Thank you so much for posting all of these amazing photo’s. I grew up in Carmel and now live in AZ and miss it so much. This is helping my homesickness without any travel costs! Love every post I have read (and I’ve been reading an hour!)

Trackbacks