February 21, 2013 / Linda Hartong

THE SNOWY DAY- NOT A TALE FROM CARMEL

The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?

J. B. Priestley

I am not in Carmel today to enjoy 50 degree temperatures, flowers and a walk outside.

I am in Kansas City where the snow is falling.

2087288187_38c8078d16_b

Schools close.

Roads disappear.

Weather Men and Women take over the TV and radio for the day.

Screen Shot 2013-02-21 at 11.56.23 AM

The stately homes of Mission Hills look lovely.

Stately Homes 022r3323669777_5b0759e724_o

I have this view from my front porch.

310648977_c926b1e0dd_b

And this one of my back yard.

The birds are enduring as they must.

2103752701_f612e9f878_o

2113562149_607a7a69bf_b

And so I am out and about filling feeders and throwing down peanuts.

2147316996_7b0e873ba1_o

A coyote hurries through the yard, the wind ruffling his fur.

The squirrels are delighted with the peanuts and the peanut butter I spread about becomes their peanut brittle.

IMG_7386snowflakes that stay on my nose

snowy night 054If you give a squirrell a coookie

Little dogs

Dashing through the Snow

And children play and sled down the hill in my back yard.

three little boys

Christmas Cheer 138

What fun it is

I am glad I am looking out on it all from this window

308226149_2315546ee4_o

And can turn around to my cozy fire, tea and book.

Laqvender 492

Hope you are safe and warm wherever you are.

1. KATHYSUE / Feb 21 2013 6:55 pm

Hi Linda, what a beautiful picture you have outside your snowy windows!! Enjoy staying cozy inside the house by the fire. It is cold and crisp, ,but sunny here in Calif. Fun talking with you yesterday!! You were a great help with the photo shop images! xo Kathysue

2. Mara Lindstrom / Feb 21 2013 6:57 pm

Fun to see your other beautiful home and garden. What a contrast! How wonderful to have both in your life.

3. anitacrawley / Feb 21 2013 6:59 pm

How very beautiful, but I’ve had 40+ winters with all that beauty and the challenges it provides. I am happy with the views of token snow on Mt. Toro (yesterday) and 50+ degrees for walking on the beach.

4. Kathy / Feb 21 2013 7:26 pm

It’s snowing here too. It’s been a snowy month. Your photos are beautiful. It’s nice to remember when I used to like playing in the snow then later watching my children play in it. Now I enjoy the tea, book and light the candles!! Our snow isn’t going away anytime soon. We live on Lake Erie, we’ve been know to have flurries in May.

5. sharon zarogoza / Feb 21 2013 7:29 pm

Exquisite pictures…..I would love to see you do a blog with pictures of your life in Mission Hills. The homes remind me of England. Beautiful!

• Linda Hartong / Feb 21 2013 8:23 pm

Sharon I don’t live in Mission Hills. But it is just a dreamy neighborhood

6. Jonni / Feb 21 2013 7:37 pm

Your snow looks lovely, from miles away here in sunny (albeit chilly) Carmel. Have a lovely day!

7. Sonia / Feb 21 2013 8:19 pm

I’m just south of you in Oklahoma city! We had thunder-sleet last night! Crazy weather…I’d rather be in Carmel!

8. CashmereLibrarian / Feb 21 2013 9:36 pm

Please don’t send it my way! But in case it does come to Illinois, tea and fires, baking, knitting and reading will ensue. However, I have a ticket for the Lyric Opera in Chicago on Saturday so I hope the roads are clear by then!

• Linda Hartong / Feb 21 2013 9:41 pm

I will do all in my powers to keep it away from you on Saturday. Best of luck

9. Jen / Feb 21 2013 10:19 pm

Linda- I’ve never commented before but became a lurker because of your wonderful pictures of Carmel. However, as much as I love the storybook homes, beautiful gardens and ocean views from that fairy tale place, I have to have 4 seasons in my life. Is there anything more wonderful than a beautiful snowy day with a hot drink and a warm cozy fire. Thanks so much for the feast for the eyes you give us on a regular basis. I love interior and exterior design, but you give us more than ideas, beauty and charm. I see storytelling and way of life in your pictures, and that is very special.

Thanks so much for your blog.

• Linda Hartong / Feb 21 2013 10:22 pm

Thanks Jen. I really appreciate your comment. And yes, I love to tell a story.

10. Dennis Strauss / Feb 21 2013 10:33 pm

Linda-Wonderful photos and comments. Your storm is progressing toward Omaha. On the way home I bought a good book, the fire place is warming me and my chair but rather than tea, I have opened a good bottle of Pinot to help me battle the elements. Hope you and Bill are both doing well.

11. House Crazy Sarah / Feb 21 2013 11:23 pm

The storm already moved through Colorado… brrrrr….. can’t say that I appreciate the snow the way you do! I’m just not a winter person (despite being born and bred in Canada)!

• Linda Hartong / Feb 21 2013 11:27 pm

I appreciate it for about two days and then I am through.

12. Patricia Hewitt / Feb 22 2013 12:04 am

I thought that you might enjoy seeing her other home. Love, Pat

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Once upon a time..Tales from Carmel by

13. Debra Sivley / Feb 22 2013 12:54 am

What a delightful winter scene, living on the coast of Alabama I can only dream! It also brings back tender memories of my West Highland, Maggie! I love all of your posts!

14. Linda Floyd / Feb 22 2013 2:56 am

Hi Linda…I am so envious…snow, hot chocolate, a book and a fire. What more could one ask for! The views from your home are delightful. Do you know that cute little dog with the children? So glad you get to experience all of the seasons…but then, it’s awfully nice here in Carmel!!!

Hope to see you when you return…
    Linda Floyd
    Biddlestone Cottage
    Carmel-by-the-Sea

15. Carolyn / Feb 22 2013 3:02 am

Gorgeous photos! We’re going to get cold rain or freezing rain – the worst! Hardly any snow at all in Asheville this year.

16. Marlene / Feb 22 2013 1:19 pm

How fabulous!! Please, more pictures of Mission Hill.

17. Sage Book Whisperer / Feb 22 2013 4:48 pm

I would sooooooooooo love to experience that feeling,that beauty from time to time here in N.Texas!_where early Summer,early Spring has been upon us since January…with temps sometimes in the mid 70’s on any given day! I was spoiled rotten while living in New Hampshire for 1 1/2 years! Oh,how I long for just the setting you’ve described & shown here.This reminded me of those NH Days! I would so love to fire up the old 1920 Montag Cookstove in our Breakfast Room_here at Aaron’s Hilltop Farm_with the vintage black Kettle filled w/water & Lavender…..while baking bread & making Butternut Squash Soup…Meantime,let me put my shorts & sneakers on & sip an Iced tea!

18. jeanette sclar / Feb 22 2013 5:05 pm

Such a lovely post!!! I feel so grateful for the moisture and the birds. An obliging hawk even caught a grackle and ate it on the garden bench. If he leaves the skeleton I think I’ll impale it on a stick by the feeder as a warning the the other grackles…..wait! Have I been snowbound too long? 🙂

19. Nancy Reinke / Feb 22 2013 10:52 pm

Beautiful photographs, Linda. You’ve captured the children’s excitement and the beauty of the snow so well. We had a quiet, peaceful snowfall here in the Colorado Rockies yesterday. Today the sun is out and everything is glistening. Lovely.

20. Gretta Faun / Feb 24 2013 3:01 pm

Wonderful post! You captured the best of winter.

21. Inspired and pretty / Feb 25 2013 2:39 pm

Wonderful photos and post Linda ! I really enjoyed it ! I love the photos at night and you took superb shots of the birds, squirrels and coyote. So fun to see the dog with the children, it made me smile !

22. Kathy :) / Mar 2 2013 3:35 pm

Wonderful post, I read you often ! Your posts about Carmel are magic, one day we’ll make that trip

All the best ,

23. Julie Reed / Mar 23 2014 4:50 pm

Gorgeous photos! I happened upon your site tracking back a photo I borrowed for a post today: http://bricolage-julier.blogspot.com/2014/03/scotties-love-snow.html
    What a surprise to see that you are in Kansas City at least some of the year? I think we may live close by, as I recognize the homes you photographed. It is unusual to find another person who has a wheaten scottie – I have a wheaten (Sprocket) and a black scottie (Speck). Yours looks like he/she likes the snow as much as mine! Looking forward to reading more of your posts!