December 30, 2011 / Linda Hartong

TAKE A WALK UP OCEAN AVE.

I want to take you on a walk along Ocean Ave. This is a MUST when visiting . I round the corner of Monte Verde

and start up the street.

Winters Gallery is the oldest independently owned art gallery in Carmel. It was started by Jerry and Joanie Winters in 1980 and has been run by them ever since. They offer an eclectic group of artists.

And Mr. Winters also paints. I love his style.

Next we pass the door of Material Goods- Women’s Clothing Accessories Jewelry Shoe Store, Carmel CA

I love the way their windows constantly change.

Let’s step in for a minute-

How did I miss these driving moccasins. Maybe next trip.

I have already Blogged about the Tea Rose Collection .

It is October so Halloween is the window theme.

Love that yellow teapot.

Next up, everybody’s favorite candy store  Cottage of Sweets .

OMG! So good.

We are now at the entrance to the Court of The Golden Bough

and detour in only briefly to see the window of   Jane Austen At Home.

This is a charming shop but the owner tells me that we who read blogs are not her customers. She also informs me bloggers are people who can not “do” but can only write. Needless to say this does not endear her to me. Perhaps I will buy some of this stunning blue ware and prove her wrong.

So on to Kids by the Sea of Carmel, CA

well worth the climb up those stairs.

I plan to share more about this store later.

PortaBella Restaurant on Ocean Avenue, Carmel-by-the-Sea

is next with their inviting patio for al fresco dining.

Looks like they are already set up for dinner.

Hurry up, we still need to see Merlot Bistro on Ocean Avenue, Carmel-by-the-Sea  ,

Carmel Valley Coffee Roasting Company  my personal favorite coffee shop

and A Contemporary Approach to Eclectic Living – Carmel Bay Company .

Whew ! And we have only gone one block. You can see why Carmel is a shopping and dining paradise. I am going back to the Coffee Shop to get a “Fog Lifter”

and watch the crowd go by before we cross Lincoln

1. handbright / Dec 30 2011 3:28 pm

Thank you once again for a sweet morning stroll through your lovely Carmel. Seen through your eyes, the charm is so apparent, so special that it makes me smile each time I find a new post from you in my mail-box! Perhaps some of that charm will eventually rub off on that store owner, I cannot imagine living in such a delightful place and being a grump… Haappy New year to you!

2. janet bishop- magina / Dec 30 2011 3:56 pm

We went in that shop and though the merchandise was delightful, the prices definitely were not! Perhaps one has to “do” more to earn the necessary funds to actually purchase some of the wares. Me, I love living vicariously through your and many other blogs 🙂

Janet

3. Ruth / Dec 31 2011 2:57 pm

I notice that Edeen Hill, the owner of Jane Austen at Home has a blog that she started in December of 2010 and hasn’t posted to since January 31st, 2011. Maybe her comments about bloggers come out of her own inability to successfully blog. She obviously has the desire to blog, but something kept her from following through on her goal.
    I thank you, Linda, for taking the time to photograph and post all these lovely locations in your beautiful town of Carmel by the Sea.
    Happy New Year!

4. Gretta Faun / Jan 1 2012 1:42 am

I am so happy after reading this post and looking at the great photos. The New Year’s Eve is just few hours away and this blog always put me in a cheerful mood. Thank you and a Happy New Year!

5. Carolyn / Jan 3 2012 3:13 am

The comment that bloggers can’t do, but can only write, seems highly ironic to me when the namesake of her shop is a writer, and is known for her writing, not doing! (And consider how much of Jane Austen’s characters’ time, and presumably her own, was spent in writing and reading letters, which can certainly be compared to blogging.) Shopping in Carmel looks as delightful as its storybook charm is inviting.

6. Kathy :) / Jan 3 2012 10:03 pm

I have GOT to get there one day, I just love your blog…..my kids live in La Jolla, we spent Christmas there……….so pretty !!!

All the best,
    Kathy 🙂

7. tammy j / Jan 8 2012 5:35 pm

wow. i guess edeen hill has been caught! lol.
    how sad that someone has to be so high-minded. and to be that way and use one of the most admired writers of the english speaking world as her shop’s name seems odd. has she not read any of jane’s books? i would think that being in a business where the “do” part is selling simple wares… and let’s face it… that’s what she “does”… i would think one would be a little nicer to the prospective buyer! oh well. the rest of the shops were a delight to see!
    cheers edeen, if you’re reading this. we think linda is the GREATEST!
    tammy j

8. Anyluckypeny / Feb 15 2012 7:28 pm

Hello! I’m so happy I found your blog! It’s really so creative and so lovely! I love looking at your pictures 🙂 I am from California myslef, so maybe I can visit some of these beautiful places!
    -Adri