November 19, 2011 / Linda Hartong

Ocean’s End – A Quintessential Carmel Cottage

I am walking along San Antonio and am ready to start up the hill on Ocean Ave. A spectacular house sits on the corner and I , along with many others, admire it . There are always several of us snapping photos of its charming gardens and architectural touches.

It sits one block from the beach. The owners proudly share views of the home they have lovingly created. Only a low stone wall separates them from their admiring fans.

They are wonderful gardeners who tend to every little detail. The planter on the gate is filled with flowers that change with the season.

The pots are carefully planned.

They have not skimped on architectural details either.

The shutters are unique

as are the brackets that hold them.

I walk around the corner and shoot over the wall.

I love the Bougainvillea- covered arbor over the corner patio.

Today  there is a “FOR SALE” sign in the yard, so when I get home I check the website for interior photos.

The large great room looks warm and inviting.

As the website notes, there are many French design elements.

Around the corner I admire the front door

guarded by this handsome rooster

and gate with it plaque announcing the name of the home- “Ocean’s End”.

More pots and garden vignettes charm the eye.

They look so handsome set against the warm stone.

I am almost at the end of the house where a sign announces “Dreams Start Here”.

Through this half-open gate I see that the back yard is made of artificial turf.

How better to practice your golf putt.

The website suggests the formal dining room,

study,

and bedrooms and baths are on the private sides of the house.

I love the chandaliers and the blue and white theme of the guest room.

The master bedroom even has an inviting fireplace

and what fun to “put on your face”at this vanity.

The asking price is  $3,850,000

1. kathysue / Nov 19 2011 2:13 am

Linda this is a beauty!! Quintessential Carmel!!!

2. Amy Hughes / Nov 19 2011 11:47 am

So beautiful! Thank you.

3. Sonia / Nov 19 2011 4:29 pm

This is one of my favorite homes in Carmel..I have photographed it too..but never have seen the inside. Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful home!! I’ truly adore this home! Sigh!! We stayed at the Lamplighter Inn just north of here! Counting the days till we are there again in February!
    Miss Bloomers

4. Gretta Faun / Nov 20 2011 1:59 am

This house, this blog, the town…so enchanting…I can’t believe it exists…It seems like Heaven on Earth…am I dreaming?…

5. Teresa O / Nov 20 2011 3:43 pm

I agree with Gretta…this place seeems almost too dream like to truly exist, but I know it does. Beautiful photos!

6. Dianne / Nov 21 2011 1:21 pm

Thank you, thank you for the wonderful walks around Carmel.
    I really did leave my heart in your beautiful town and finding your site was like a dream come true.
    Look forward to seeing how Carmel By The Sea dresses itself for the holidays!!!

7. tammy j / Nov 23 2011 6:40 pm

oh! ditto dianne above. if there were ever a town of enchantment at christmas… this must be it!
    i can’t wait to see how you delight us with your pictures.
    you are simply wonderful.
    this has become one of my favorite blogs. (such an ugly name for such a magical sharing!)
    merry thanksgiving!
    tammy j

8. June Carroll / Jul 25 2012 7:18 pm

I walk past this house every time I visit carmel
    if I could live in carmel this is the house I would buy.
    It is story book beautiful! just beautiful!

Trackbacks