November 6, 2011 / Linda Hartong

THE TEA ROSE COLLECTION

The Tea Rose Collection is a “one of a kind” tea shop.

It is in the Court Of The Golden Bough on Ocean Ave. The shop was built by M.J. Murphy from a design inspired by the whimsical Swedish Fairy Tale illustrations by Edmund Dulac.

The Art of Edmund Dulac: Fairy Tales, Myths and Legends

It is a pink confection with a miniature turret,

dutch doors,

and tiles set into the stucco.

I always enjoy the window displays as I stroll by. When we were here last spring,Easter themes predominated.

But today it is “Car Week” and the Concours on the Avenue is taking place right outside their door, so the theme is automotive.

Usually the door is closed, but today one dutch door stands partially open

and the other door is wide open,

so in I go.

This is a feast for the eyes and it takes a minute to get my bearings amid all these goodies.

They specialize in all things “tea”, such as teas, teapots, tea cups, infusers, strainers, tea spoons, tea cozies, invitations, and books. Wow!. They also have specialty British food and tea time treats including lemon curd, raspberry curd and clotted cream. My mouth is watering.

Straight ahead is the fireplace

almost hidden by tea cups, plates, teapots and work by local artists.

I love this painting of the shop itself done by Carolyn Paterson.

To my left is an elegant old book shelf filled with some of the stationary items .

An antique chair shows off more tea-related note cards.

In the shop’s second room , one area is dedicated to tea cozies

another to miniature tea sets

and still another to blue ware.

I notice the back door opens onto a charming patio

and step out into the sunshine to admire still more blue ware tea sets.

Inside again and to my right is an inviting staircase winding its way up to a balcony that overlooks the lower level.

Look at that child height window that peeks into another room.

I find paintings and furnishings on this level.

I peer over the balcony to check out this chandelier

and catch a glimpse of an unsuspecting “car guy” who has wandered into this shop.

Wait, I missed those cute tea spoons in the right hand corner of this shot.

Darn!

However, I can shop in their online catalog of Tea Cups, Dessert Plates, miniatures, Accessories, Silver Plate Teapots, curds, Tea Books, Teas, Teapots, Trays, Mugs, Children’s Tea Sets, Egg cups, Stationary, Covered Mugs, and Carmel-by-the Sea China.  Whew!   Tea Rose Collection.

Maybe I will slip out of here and grab a cup of coffee.

1. Nita@ModVintageLife / Nov 6 2011 11:08 pm

Oh..I’d love to go shopping there.

2. Teresa O / Nov 7 2011 12:38 am

Oh my what a delightful, chockful of goodies shop! I’ll definitely check out their website.

Also, I wanted to offer my condolences at the loss of your father. What wonderful memories you shared. I lost my father 11 years ago and my mother five years before that. Not a day goes by that I don’t think of them and miss them.

3. Jane / Nov 7 2011 12:44 am

You did such a wonderful job of capturing both the goodies and the essence of this lovely shop I feel as if I have been there in person.

4. Jacqui / Nov 7 2011 2:15 pm

That is one gorgeous shop!!!

5. Annie Westlake / Nov 8 2011 9:55 am

Darn, I was just there and didn’t see the clotted cream. Hopefully, it is on their website. Didn’t know this was an M.J. Murphy. You have certainly captured the charm of the shop.

6. Inspired and pretty / Nov 9 2011 9:27 pm

Wow ! This is gorgeous ! I’m a big fan of everyghing tea, especially teapots and plates.
    Your blog is so beautiful. Your pictures are amazing, they are so big that it’s as if we are in there with you. I like that because we get to see all the details in your pics.
    Now I’m going visiting Tea Rose Collection.