October 22, 2011 / Linda Hartong

CARMEL’S COTTAGE RESTAURANT

It is tradition for Bill and I to breakfast at the Cottage on our first morning in Carmel.

We grab sweaters and head out into the cool Carmel morning fog. The Cottage is only 2 blocks from our house.

It is August and the plantings are in full bloom.

I love the bay window with its lattice trim.

We walk by the small pot garden that frames the dutch door- open today-

and then make our way to the front door with its stained glass. The bench outside the door holds free copies of The Pine Cone, Carmel’s weekly paper

and we take one to look at while we eat.

The Cottage has 4 dining areas.

We check in at the desk with the glassed- in booth behind it.

The sign boasts about their famous artichoke soup and rightly so. It is a great lunch.

Behind me on the sideboard, the oatmeal bowls with their cheery bears and messages on the bottom make me smile.

What a great way to encourage kids to clean their bowl.

Kathleen in in the front room taking orders.

This is a great room for a family or group as it has one large round table.

Church pews provide cute seating along the north wall

and the small glassed in booth to the side  is another great spot for families.

Kathleen owns and runs the Cottage with her son and daughter-in-law, Steve and Nellie Cardinalli .

Kathleen grew up in Carmel and has been in the food service industry for years before buying the Cottage in 1994. Kathleen shares a little history with me.

The Cottage was originally two buildings. The one we step into has been a barber shop and even a furriers. It has a safe in the basement that held the furs.

Bill and I usually step down into this area which was a restaurant known for fine dining.

The owners lived above and this little dutch door with the table in front of it

was the door to the restaurant.

The choice spots in this room are the table in front of the bay window and the ones in front of the fireplace.

We often see this woman starting her day with friends.

We love the table in front of the fireplace where we warm ourselves

and enjoy  such things as Eggs Benedict, omelettes ,Kathy Cakes, fresh fruit, and a fabulous coffee blended  just for them.

Other tables line the wall

and tuck into the corner where a curtin separates the diner from the cook.

At least once each trip, we treat ourselves to the artichoke soup. Lunch is served from 11 to 3. Breakfast is all day, every day. I can also recommend some deserts! We like to split the Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce or the Sundae.

This is a favorite spot with locals and we often see the same cast of characters .-

We go early in the morning. If you have a large group, I suggest reservations. By 10AM a crowd has formed outside the door.

Carmel’s Cottage Restaurant — Family-friendly Dining

Lincoln Ave. between Ocean & 7th, Carmel by the Sea, California

1. Robin / Oct 22 2011 11:51 pm

What a sweet place. Quaint decor and the food looks wonderful. All that lovely, fresh fruit!

2. Laurie / Oct 23 2011 12:00 am

I’ve been following your blog for awhile. Carmel is one of our favorite spots in the world. We honeymooned there 40 years ago. We visit every 2 or 3 months (we’re a 3 hour drive away). I looove the artichoke soup at The Cottage! I can’t wait for our next visit so we can stop by and have a bowlful. You’ve opened my eyes to so many of the quaint buildings and history of Carmel.

Laurie

3. Nita@ModVintageLife / Oct 23 2011 9:45 am

What an adorable place and the food looks so good. I haven’t been able to read blogs very much of late so I’m going to have to catch up on your’s. I have to tell you it’s one of my most favorite. It’s like a mini vacation coming to your blog.

4. kathysue / Oct 23 2011 2:42 pm

Thank you Linda, we will have to try this charming piece of Carmel on our next visit,
    Kathysue

5. Sonia / Oct 23 2011 4:34 pm

We love visiting Carmel and try to make it there every year. We haven’t tried the Cottage Restaurant yet. Last visit we had breakfast at the Tuck Box and Friar Tucks. We love walking in the village and I enjoy all the flowers and those dutch doors! Thanks for sharing this quaint little place…I’ll add it to my list for next year!

Miss Bloomers

6. Annie Westlake / Oct 24 2011 7:07 am

Oh darn! We just got back from Carmel this evening. I feel like turning around and going back for some of that artichoke soup. Thanks for another great recommendation.

7. Ruth / Oct 24 2011 2:26 pm

Dear Linda,
    I found your blog a couple of months ago and have been visiting regularly ever since. I want to thank you for photographing and posting all the lovely photographs of charming Carmel.
    Best regards,
    Ruth

8. btphelps / Oct 31 2011 3:55 am

I’ve eaten at the Cottage Restaurant in Carmel a number of times and always enjoy it. Your pictures are wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing your experience there. I’m only sorry we live three hours away and can’t get there more often.

9. btphelps / Oct 31 2011 3:58 am

I’ve worked on the Cottage web site in the past. I would like your permission to add some of your pictures to the web site with due credit to you of course, and a link to your blog. You can reply to briant@phelpstek.com.

Brian Phelps

• Linda Hartong / Oct 31 2011 12:26 pm

I would love that. You have my permission
      Linda