August 30, 2011 / Linda Hartong

WHITTAKERS OF CARMEL

When we first moved to Carmel, we brought out a few posters to hang on our bare walls. One day while walking in the Pine Inn Courtyard, we saw a little dog in the window of one of the shops. He was laying on a soft blanket and his owner was painting a colorful landscape of Carmel.

We immediately bought and framed the landscape  and later purchased still another of her posters.

The artist is Willa Aylaian, a native Californian who now specializes in landscapes with a French Impressionistic feeling. The next time we came to Carmel, she had opened Whittakers on Ocean Ave.

The building she chose has lots of charm right down to the plants blooming on the shingles.

The window is always colorful and changes with the seasons.

The store is narrow and long with a small garden in the back.

The salespeople are delightful. I love the hand -painted French and Italian pottery and will occasionally pick up a piece for our daughter.

The chairs and tables are hand-crafted.

I find cozy throws, unique lamps

and of course oil paintings by Willa

who now works from her Pebble Beach studio.

Curious about the artist, I found this statement from her about her painting history.

“I have been an artist here in California for over 40 years and started by doing children’s portraits in the 60’s and 70’s to put my daughter through college. After a brief hiatus in the 80’s , my family and I opened a home accessory store/gallery in Carmel where my work has been shown since 1989.”

When I mentioned this store in an earlier blog, several of you commented that you visit the store every time you visit.

Whittakers now has an on-line store http://www.whittakerscarmel.com/store

and a website .

Whittakers

On Ocean Ave between Dolores & San Carlos
Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA 93921

district: Carmel-By-The-Sea

1. Tony @ TheCarmelBlog.com / Aug 30 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks for the great post. Whittakers is very nice, quintessential Carmel shop with eclectic offerings. I haven’t been there in a while but will have to visit soon.

2. kjm / Sep 1 2011 1:52 am

It looks like a great shop. I see a number of things I like. Love the plants on the roof, too!

3. janet bishop- magina / Sep 1 2011 7:59 pm

I have that first poster also. Looking forward to visiting the shop in early October!

4. Sonia / Sep 6 2011 6:01 pm

I always shop here when we visit Carmel..it’s such an adorable shoppe! I have beautiful table linens that I purchased there and the selection is always beautiful..I love the little courtyard garden area out the back door! Thanks for reminding me of such a fun place to shop!

Miss Bloomers

5. Ingrid and Michele Martin / Sep 12 2011 8:51 pm

Hello, every time we go to Carmel we stop at your store. We just love it. The last time we where on a bus trip you packed everything so well for us. Thank you again. Ingrid and Michele

6. janet bishop- magina / Sep 26 2011 12:24 pm

Linda,

I can’t figure out how to get into your archives and our trip is coming up soon ( this Thursday). I remember some posts about restaurants with early bird dining and Sand Dabs..can you point me to the restaurants or back to the posts please. Getting giddy here 🙂

Janet

7. Linda Harman / Feb 26 2012 9:57 pm

I was in your shop for a quick look, but unfortunately had to rush out to catch my tour bus. I am from Canada and would love to order on line. Is this possible? Is there a website?

8. Douglas Paul Ambort / Nov 8 2014 12:06 am

There are on this blog page two links to the Whittakers of Carmel online store / website, and they are both incorrect. The correct URL is http://www.whittakersofcarmel.com.