May 9, 2011 / Linda Hartong

HUGH COMSTOCK’S – THE STUDIO

As I head back to the car, I retrace my steps down 6th Avenue. Oh my gosh, the gate to “The Studio” is open.

A repair truck is in the gravel pull -off in front of the gate and a worker is on a ladder repairing shingles. His back is to me. Breakfast will have to wait.

Always before my view has been limited to peeks over the fence.  Hugh built this house in 1928 and Joanne Mathewson’s book tells me that his wife Mayotta lived there after Hugh died. This cottage is long and I can not capture it in a single shot for you so I attempt to capture it in segments.

The west part shows off french doors with diamond shaped leaded glass windows. The doors open on the main patio. The wisteria is in bloom and Clematis “montana” is cascades gracefully over the roof. The chimney is another masterpiece fashioned of Carmel Stone.

I like the chalk rock foundation with those golden stucco walls.

A small cafe table and chairs sit on the gravel patio.

Panning right , I can see that little oval window that add such a sweet touch.

The long center section of the house has a double door entry.

The hand carved casements that used to be a soft peachy pink are now pale blue.

I can see the stained glass porch light and the “door bell”.

The plants in the window boxes and new blue jar add a touch of color.

The third section of the house has a huge window to let in the afternoon light. And I now see that the garage on the end might have been added later. Hard to tell.

I hike up the hill to see if I can get a better look and poke my camera through some vines to get this shot.

It looks like a bit of England plunked down in Carmel.  What an unexpected treat to see more of this house.

I hear a loud growling noise and realize it is my stomach. How rude. I guess I better feed it.

1. Kathysue / May 9 2011 4:05 pm

Linda, this is such a perfect cottage. It has all the charm a cottae should have, thank you for your wonderful images. Love following along!! Kathysue

2. Carolyn / May 9 2011 4:15 pm

Wow! It looks like it was staged for a photoshoot with the wisteria in bloom. How nice to have your home photo-ready at any given moment. I love all the elements of the house, and even the lace curtains on the interior. Are those orchids inside that diamond pane window? I’d love to sit in those French bistro chairs and have my tea and scone!

3. Shelia / May 9 2011 5:31 pm

Oh, what a darling cottage! It does look like something from another world – even a fairy tale house! Just love it and thank you for giving up time to feed your tummy to snap photos of this house! 🙂
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia 😉

4. Nita@ModVintageLife / May 9 2011 7:24 pm

What fantastic photos! Are they in the middle of painting it? As I see some windows are peach and some the new blue. So lovely.

5. Jacqui / May 9 2011 10:13 pm

Absolutely gorgeous, lovely photos!!! I would love to live in one of those cottages!

6. jeanette sclar / May 10 2011 1:26 am

I can’t stand it! Just when I think I’m getting control of my beastly garden, you come up with yet another drool-worthy place! Perhaps you could infiltrate even more if you wore a workman’s overalls? Hang a hammer in your belt.
    This one is truly to die for!

7. the walking dead wiki / Nov 3 2011 5:47 am

Terrific read!!

8. does flex seal really work / Nov 6 2011 8:54 am

All around amazingly written piece.