Advertisements
March 22, 2011 / Linda Hartong

A LITTLE RETAIL THERAPY

Shopping in Carmel is just a delight. Most shops are “one of a kind’. If you simply must have something from TALBOTS or TOMMY BAHAMA look in the outdoor mall at the top of Ocean Ave.

There is the usual selection of “tourist” shops along Ocean to provide you with the T-shirt emblazoned with CARMEL-BY-THE SEA.

But for the most part you will find boutique shopping.

Take your time and window shop along 5th Ave, Ocean Ave. and 6th Ave. It is there you will find most of the shops.

Choose clothing for both little girls

and big girls

or for your “inner cowboy”

Be sure to check out the Cottage of Sweets

Antiques

Art

And Estate Jewelry

My favorite house wares shop is Whittakers on Ocean.

The owner is the artist and designer of most items in the store.

And don’t miss all the hidden Courtyards and Passageways. Carmel has 42 of these.

I will try to show you more inside these wonderful shops. However, shop owners sometimes welcome and sometimes forbid photography.

I would welcome some feedback on how you like this new theme on black as compared with the previous theme. Are the photos too large or do you enjoy seeing more detail.
Thanks for helping me work out the kinks.

Unless otherwise stated, all photographs are copyright (c) Linda Hartong. All rights reserved.

You may not use any image on this site without my written consent. If you are interested in using a photo from my website for any purpose, please send me a quick message and let me know which photo(s) you are interested in.

Advertisements

1. Kathysue / Mar 22 2011 6:51 pm

I love the big pictures!!! I think I like a white background better, but I truly think that is because that is what my eye is use to viewing and it seems easier for me. Love the larger pictures!!! Kathysue

2. Miss Bloomers / Mar 22 2011 6:56 pm

Love your blogs new look!! Bigger pictures are great! BTW I always have to go into Whitakers when I’m in Carmel. Last trip I bought the most beautiful french placemats and napkins..gotta say it’s one of my favorite stores! What a treat to see your pictures today!

3. Nita@ModVintageLife / Mar 22 2011 8:23 pm

I’m love, love, loving the big pics! Yes, keep them big. I want to see every detail. The black background not so much….Dark backgrounds aren’t very visually friendly. I’d keep shopping for a better background. Or…contact one of the talented blog designers out there and have them make you up a gorgeous template. Your Carmel photos deserve a design that compliments them.

4. janet bishop- magina / Mar 22 2011 8:53 pm

I love the big pictures; the more detail the better. I have a poster from Whittakers that the owner/artist signed for me. I just remembered that the frame broke a while ago and I threw the frame out, but what did I do with the poster? It must be rolled up somewhere hiding 🙂 Off to search frantically.

We only spent an afternoon in Carmel in 2000, but I have always wanted to go back when I have time to really explore and live vicariously.

Regards,
    Janet

5. miranda / Mar 23 2011 4:38 am

What a treat to walk down the streets of Carmel with you.
    Really Loving the pictures!
    I’m so so about the black background. Doesn’t have that light, spritely feel of Carmel… or of you 🙂

6. Marta Shamblin / Mar 23 2011 12:25 pm

Love the new format . . .the pictures have so much detail to enjoy!

7. Mary Lou / Mar 25 2011 3:28 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog. We are from Ohio, but have visited Carmel seven times because my husband loves to golf at Pebble Beach and I love to shop. What a delightful paradise for both of us!

I love your big pictures and the light background. I love going back to Carmel every day via your blog! Thanks!