Advertisements
March 4, 2011 / Linda Hartong

The Gate House- Carmel’s Mystery Cottage

The Gatehouse cottage occupies four Carmel lots. Each time I go by I look for some new way to photograph this lovely home. Enclosed  by a fence and dense planting,  I love it when the owners leave a gate ajar or when they must trim back the plantings.

“The origin of this cottage remains veiled in mystery. Some say once served as a servant’s quarters of a large estate. Other belive it was built by an old sea-captain after he was no longer able to go to sea. Still  others believe it was built by Charles Van Riper an author and real estate developer. The main cottage was built in the 1940’s.”Linda Leigh Paul

The Gate House has become the “Gate House Complex” during the 15 years we have been in Carmel.When I first  discovered it on one of my “walkabouts” it consisted of the main cottage shown above.

Then another guest cottage was added

And still another

I must admit that on the day the photo below was taken, I gave the partly open gate a little nudge and then knelt in the gravel path to get this photo of the house and its lush summer garden.

This could be what heaven looks like to a gardener like myself.

Sweet alyssum, catnip , deep purple heliotrope and yarrow spill over the path leading the way to the Adirondack chairs place in a companionable circle. Roses clamber over a trellis and add vertical interest as rose standards. An exuberant vine drapes itself from the small balcony off the upstairs bedroom. Can you see that tiny stone pot of yellow pansies on the table? Take a minute to listen to the bees humming and smell all the mingled scents.

Yup, this is heaven all right.

The two-story design of the main house has a small balcony off the bedroom. All of the stone  on the facade is locally quarried.

I have never been inside this cottage but I found these photos on flickr where I have a photo stream. They are from a woman whose parents live in Carmel and she has given me permission to share them with you. Her flickr name is lookiloos.    photoset.gne

Advertisements

1. jeanette sclar / Mar 4 2011 6:18 pm

Those interiors -what a find! I love picturing you, camera in hand, sweet, innocent smile, stealthily snapping away! And the garden!!! It’s still early enough form me to believe the delusion that the garden here will be wonderful….please do not set me straight any time soon.

2. Maryjane / Mar 4 2011 10:17 pm

When I read your stories of Carmel, you’re words and pictures bring me along with you to so many magical places. Storybook homes make me smile as does your blog.

3. Carolyn / Mar 6 2011 4:37 am

I found your wonderful photos of the charming Carmel cottages and gardens on Flickr and was enchanted. I’ve drooled over pics of the fairy tale cottages for years and have the “Cottages by the Sea” book. Living in North Carolina, I’ve only been able to enjoy my visits via the internet, books, and magazines. How lucky for you to live there! Your views of the cottages and gardens are some of the best I’ve seen, and serve as wonderful inspiration for my ‘storybook’ houses file. Thanks for posting them for us armchair tourists!

4. Monica de Moss / Mar 6 2011 9:49 pm

Oh my goodness! What an absolutely adorable place – Love those garden views. And yes, I can certainly imagine the delicious scents of heliotrope and sweet alyssum – two of my own personal favourites!

Hmm – The next big lottery is $50 million – I must buy an extra ticket. 🙂

5. Nita@ModVintageLife / Mar 8 2011 9:12 pm

I just found your blog through My Romantic Home and am thrilled to have done so. I live in a storybook cottage and often look at home in Carmel on the internet as inspiration as to how I can make my cottage be its most. I’m adding you to my blog roll so I can see everything you show.

6. Cynthia / Mar 1 2012 10:24 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I’ve only been to Carmel once many years ago. It captured my heart though and I just discovered your site. You have no idea the joy you are giving posting all these photos. Can’t thank you enough.